. Stockholm is the cultural, media, political, and economic centre of Sweden. The region alone accounts for over a third of the country GDP, and is among the top 10 regions in Europe by GDP per capita It an important global city, and the main centre for corporate headquarters in the Nordic region. The city is home to some of Europe top ranking universities, such as the Karolinska Institute, and hosts the annual Nobel Prize ceremonies and banquet at the Stockholm Concert Hall and Stockholm City Hall. One of the city most prized museums, the Vasa Museum, is the most visited non art museum in Scandinavia.The Stockholm metro, opened in 1950, is well known for its decoration of the stations it has been called the longest art gallery in the world.Sweden national football arena is located north of the city centre, in Solna. Ericsson Globe, the national indoor arena, is in the southern part of the city. The city was the host of the 1912 Summer Olympics, and hosted the equestrian portion of the 1956 Summer Olympics otherwise held in Melbourne, Australia.
. Skansen (the Sconce) is the first open air museum and zoo in Sweden and is located on the island Djurgarden in Stockholm, Sweden. It was founded in 1891 by Artur Hazelius (1833 1901) to show the way of life in the different parts of Sweden before the industrial era.The name Skansen has also been used as a noun to refer to other open air museums and collections of historic structures, particularly in Central and Eastern Europe, but also in the United States, e.g. Old World Wisconsin and Fairplay, Colorado.
. The Vasa Museum (Swedish Vasamuseet) is a maritime museum in Stockholm, Sweden. Located on the island of Djurgarden, the museum displays the only almost fully intact 17th century ship that has ever been salvaged, the 64 gun warship Vasa that sank on her maiden voyage in 1628. The Vasa Museum opened in 1990 and, according to the official web site, is the most visited museum in Scandinavia. Together with other museums such as Stockholm Maritime Museum, the museum belongs to the Swedish National Maritime Museums (SNMM).
. Gamla stan (The Old Town), until 1980 officially Staden mellan broarna (The Town between the Bridges), is the old town of Stockholm, Sweden. Gamla stan consists primarily of the island Stadsholmen. The surrounding islets Riddarholmen, Helgeandsholmen, and Stromsborg are officially part of, but not colloquially included in, Gamla stan. The word stan is simply a contraction of the word staden meaning the town. The town dates back to the 13th century, and consists of medieval alleyways, cobbled streets, and archaic architecture. North German architecture has had a strong influence in the Old Town construction.Stortorget is the name of the scenic large square in the centre of Gamla Stan, which is surrounded by old merchant houses including the Stockholm Stock Exchange Building. The square was the site of the Stockholm Bloodbath, where Swedish noblemen were massacred by the Danish King Christian II in November, 1520. The following revolt and civil war led to the dissolution of the Kalmar Union and the subsequent election of King Gustav I.
. The Drottningholm Palace (Swedish Drottningholms slott) is the private residence of the Swedish royal family. It is located in Drottningholm. Built on the island Lovon (in Ekero Municipality of Stockholm County), it is one of Sweden Royal Palaces. It was originally built in the late 16th century. It served as a residence of the Swedish royal court for most of the 18th century. Apart from being the private residence of the Swedish royal family, the palace is a popular tourist attraction.The name Drottningholm (literally meaning Queen islet ) came from the original renaissance building designed by Willem Boy, a stone palace built by John III of Sweden in 1580 for his queen, Catherine Jagellon. This palace was preceded by a royal mansion called Torvesund.
. Djurgarden (Swedish pronunciation or, more officially, Kungliga Djurgarden (Swedish The (Royal) Game Park) is an island in central Stockholm. Djurgarden is home to historical buildings and monuments, museums, galleries, the amusement park Grona Lund, the open air museum Skansen, the small residential area Djurgardsstaden, yacht harbours, and extensive stretches of forest and meadows. It is one of the Stockholmer favorite recreation areas and tourist destination alike, attracting over 10 million visitors per year, of which some 5 million come to visit the museums and amusement park. The island belongs to the National City park founded in 1995. Since the 15th century the Swedish monarch has owned or held the right of disposition of Royal Djurgarden. Today, this right is exercised by the Royal Djurgarden Administration which is a part of the Royal Court of Sweden.
. Fotografiska (The Swedish Museum of Photography) is a centre for contemporary photography located in Stockholm, Sweden that opened on 21 May 2010.Fotografiska has 5500 m2 of exhibition spaces, an academy, bistro, caf?, bar, conference rooms, museum shop, gallery, and event spaces.Fotografiska is housed at Stadsgarden, in a former industrial Art Nouveau style building dating from 1906. Designed by Ferdinand Boberg, the building was used as a customs house, and is listed as a building of cultural interest. The original brick facade of is intact, while the interiors have been renovated to house the museum. The city of Stockholm has funded the 250 million Swedish crowns restoration costs.
. Vasa (or Wasa) is a Swedish warship built between 1626 and 1628. The ship foundered and sank after sailing about 1,300 m (1,400 yd) into her maiden voyage on 10 August 1628. She fell into obscurity after most of her valuable bronze cannons were salvaged in the 17th century until she was located again in the late 1950s in a busy shipping lane just outside the Stockholm harbor. Salvaged with a largely intact hull in 1961, she was housed in a temporary museum called Wasavarvet ( The Wasa Shipyard ) until 1988 and then moved to the Vasa Museum in Stockholm. The ship is one of Sweden most popular tourist attractions and has been seen by over 29 million visitors since 1961.Since her recovery, Vasa has become a widely recognized symbol of the Swedish great power period and is today a de facto standard in the media and among Swedes for evaluating the historical importance of shipwrecks.
. The Stockholm Palace or The Royal Palace (Swedish Stockholms slott or Kungliga slottet) is the official residence and major royal palace of the Swedish monarch (the actual residence of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia is at Drottningholm Palace). Stockholm Palace is located on Stadsholmen, in Gamla stan in the capital, Stockholm. It neighbors the Riksdag building.The offices of the King, the other members of the Swedish Royal Family, and the offices of the Royal Court of Sweden are located here. The palace is used for representative purposes by the King whilst performing his duties as the head of state.The Stockholm Palace has been in the same location by Norrstrom in the northern part of the Gamla stan in Stockholm since the middle of the 13th century when the Tre Kronor Castle was built. In modern times the name relates to the building called the Kungliga Slottet. The palace was designed by Nicodemus Tessin the Younger and erected on the same place as the medieval Tre Kronor Castle which was destroyed in a fire on 7 May 1697. Due to the costly Great Northern War which started in 1700, construction of the palace was halted in 1709, and not commenced until 1727 six years after the war.
. Tivoli Grona Lund (lit. The Green Grove) or Gronan is an amusement park in Stockholm, Sweden. It is located on the seaward side of the Djurgarden island and is relatively small compared to other amusement parks, mainly due to its central location, which limits expansion. The 15 acre amusement park has over 30 attractions, and is a popular venue for concerts during the summer. Grona Lund was founded in 1883 by James Schultheiss.Grona Lund roots are in the 1880s, making it Sweden oldest amusement park. In 1883, a German by the name of Jacob Schultheiss rented the area to erect carousels and other amusements , and until 2001 descendants of Schultheiss ran Grona Lund. Before the amusement park came into being, Grona Lund was the name of a small park and later of a restaurant.
. Junibacken is a children museum, founded by Staffan Gotestam, Fredrik Urstrom and Peder Wallenberg. It is situated on the island of Djurgarden in the centre of Stockholm, Sweden. The museum was officially opened by the Swedish Royal Family on June 8, 1996. The museum is Stockholm 5th most visited tourist attraction. The museum is devoted to Swedish children literature, but especially Astrid Lindgren. Outside the building is a bronze statue of Lindgren. The art direction and images for the interior design were made by Swedish artist Marit Tornqvist, who had previously made illustrations for more recent versions of Lindgren books.The museum contains the largest children bookstore in Sweden. The lockers in the entrance hall are unusual in that each is in the form of a giant book spine, featuring world classics such as Treasure Island and The Jungle Book. Other main attractions include a Storybook Square, a mock public square where each house is devoted to a separate Swedish children author (other than Lindgren), from the earliest writers such as Elsa Beskow to recent writers such as Sven Nordqvist. The square ends at a mock Vimmerby railway station. The station also presents framed copies of Lindgren memorabilia, including a glowing letter of praise for Lindgren from then president of the Soviet Union Mikhail Gorbachev.
. Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde (Swedish Cape of Waldemar ), is a building, the scenic former home of the Swedish Prince Eugen, now a museum located on Djurgarden in central Stockholm. The name is composed by Waldemar, an Old German noble male name and udde, meaning cape. It is derived from a historical name of the island Djurgarden, Valmundso.The painter prince discovered the place in 1892, when he rented a house there for a few days. Seven years later he bought the premises and had a new house designed by the architect Ferdinand Boberg, who also designed Rosenbad (the Prime Minister Office and the Government Chancellery), and erected 1903 1904.Prince Eugen had been educated as a painter in Paris and after his death the house was converted to a museum of his own and others paintings. The prince died in 1947 and is buried by the beach close to the house.
. Moderna Museet, the Museum of Modern Art, Stockholm, Sweden, is a state museum located on the island of Skeppsholmen in central Stockholm, that was first opened in 1958. Its first manager was Pontus Hult?n. On May 2010, Daniel Birnbaum became the new director of the museum. In 2009, Moderna Museet opened a new branch in south of Sweden, in the city of Malmo.The museum houses Swedish and international modern and contemporary art, including pieces by Picasso and Salvador Dal? and a model of the Tatlin Tower. The museum collection includes also key works by artists such as Marcel Duchamp, Louise Bourgeois, Niki de Saint Phalle, Henri Matisse and Robert Rauschenberg, as well as ongoing acquisitions by contemporary artists. In 1993, six works by Picasso and two by Georges Braque totaling more than ?40m were stolen from the museum in a renowned coup where the burglars came in through the roof by night, copying the method from the 1955 French movie Rififi (French Du rififi chez les hommes). Only three of the Picasso paintings have been recovered.
. The Nobel Museum (Swedish Nobelmuseet) is a museum devoted to circulate information on the Nobel Prize, Nobel laureates from 1901 to present, and the life of the founder of the prize, Alfred Nobel (1833 1896). The museum is, together with the Swedish Academy and the Nobel Library, located in the former Stock Exchange Building (Borshuset) taking up the north side of the square Stortorget in Gamla stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden.According to the manifesto of the museum the intentions are to be a reflecting and go ahead spirited memory of the Nobel laureates and their achievements as well as of the Nobel Prize and Alfred Nobel . To achieve these aims, the museum offers exhibitions, films, theatre plays, and debates related to science besides the regular book and souvenir shops, and caf?s usually found in museums. The museum boasts exhibitions featuring celebrities such as Marie Curie, Nelson Mandela, and Winston Churchill, to name but a few.
. The Bergianska tradgarden, the Bergian Garden or Hortus Bergianus, is a botanical garden located in the Frescati area on the outskirts of Stockholm, close to the Swedish Museum of Natural History and the main campus of Stockholm University. The director of the garden is known as Professor Bergianus.The Garden was founded through a donation in 1791 by the historian and antiquarian Bengt Bergius and his brother Peter Jonas Bergius, a physician and scientist, for the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, and was originally located at their mansion and its adjacent garden on the Karlbergsvagen road, in what is now the Vasastaden district in central Stockholm, which at the time still had a largely rural character. The garden was moved to its current location in 1885.
. The Royal Armoury (Swedish Livrustkammaren) is a museum in the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden. It contains many artifacts of Swedish military history and Swedish royalty. It is the oldest museum in Sweden, established in 1628 by King Gustavus Adolphus when he decided that his clothes from his campaign in Poland should be preserved for posterity.A drinking horn, made from one horn of the last recorded live aurochs was taken as war booty from Jaktor?w, Poland by the Swedish Army during the Swedish invasion of Poland (1655 1660), and can now be found in the museum.
Royal Swedish Opera
. Kungliga Operan (The Royal Swedish Opera, lit.The Royal Opera ) is Sweden national stage for opera and ballet.The building is located in the center of Sweden capital Stockholm in the borough of Norrmalm, on the eastern side of Gustav Adolfs torg across from the former Arvfurstens Palats, now Ministry for Foreign Affairs. It lies on the North side of the Norrstrom river and is connected to the Royal Palace through the Norrbro bridge.Further historically as well as architecturally important buildings in the close neighborhood are the Sager House, official residence of the Prime Minister of Sweden, and the Riksdag building.
. Riddarholmen (Swedish The Knight Islet ) is a small islet in central Stockholm, Sweden. The island forms part of Gamla Stan, the old town, and houses a number of private palaces dating from the 17th century. The main landmark is the church Riddarholmskyrkan, the royal burial church since the 17th century and where a number of Swedish monarchs lie buried.The western end of the island gives a magnificent panoramic and photogenic view of the bay Riddarfjarden, often used by TV journalists with Stockholm City Hall in the background. A statue of Birger Jarl, traditionally considered the founder of Stockholm, stands a pillar in front of the Bonde Palace, north of Riddarholmskyrkan.Other notable buildings include the Old Parliament Building in the south eastern corner, the Old National Archive on the eastern shore, and the so called Norstedt Building, the old printing house of the publisher Norstedts, the tower roof of which is a well known silhouette on the city skyline.
. Sankt Nikolai kyrka (Church of St. Nicholas), most commonly known as Storkyrkan (The Great Church) and Stockholms domkyrka (Stockholm Cathedral), is the oldest church in Gamla Stan, the old town in central Stockholm, Sweden. It is an important example of Swedish Brick Gothic. Situated next to the Royal Palace, it forms the western end of Slottsbacken, the major approach to the Royal Palace, while the streets Storkyrkobrinken, Hogvaktsterrassen, and Trangsund passes north and west of it respectively. South of the church is the Stockholm Stock Exchange Building facing the Stortorget square and containing the Swedish Academy, Nobel Library, and Nobel Museum.
. SkyView is the world class attraction that takes you to the top of the world largest spherical building, the Ericsson Globe, a Stockholm landmark. From the apex 130 meters (425 feet) above sea level, you get a fantastic view encompassing all of Stockholm. The two SkyView gondolas depart every 10 minutes, and the entire visit takes about 30 minutes. Restaurant, caf? and souvenir shop are adjacent to SkyView. Holders of the Stockholm Card ride for free, but only if there is room. No pre booking.
. Skogskyrkogarden (official name in English The Woodland Cemetery ) is a cemetery located in the Enskededalen district south of central Stockholm, Sweden. Its design, by Gunnar Asplund and Sigurd Lewerentz, reflects the development of architecture from Nordic Classicism to mature functionalism.Skogskyrkogarden came about following an international competition in 1915 for the design of a new cemetery in Enskede in the southern part of Stockholm, Sweden. The entry called Tallum by the young architects Gunnar Asplund and Sigurd Lewerentz was selected. After changes made to the design on the recommendations of the competition jury, work began in 1917 on land that had been old gravel quarries that were overgrown with pine trees, and the first phase was completed three years later.
. The Riddarholm Church (Swedish Riddarholmskyrkan) is the burial church of the Swedish monarchs. It is located on the island of Riddarholmen, close to the Royal Palace in Stockholm, Sweden. The congregation was dissolved in 1807 and today the church is used only for burial and commemorative purposes. Swedish monarchs from Gustavus Adolphus (d. 1632 AD) to Gustaf V (d. 1950) are entombed here (with exceptions such as Queen Christina who is buried within St. Peter Basilica in Rome), as well as the earlier monarchs Magnus III (d. 1290) and Charles VIII (d. 1470). It has been discontinued as a royal burial place in favor of the Royal Cemetery.It is one of the oldest buildings in Stockholm, parts of it dating to the late 13th century, when it was built as a greyfriars monastery. After the Protestant Reformation, the monastery was closed and the building transformed into a Protestant church. A spire designed by Willem Boy was added during the reign of John III, but it was destroyed by a strike of lightning on July 28, 1835 after which it was replaced with the present cast iron spire.
Royal Dramatic Theatre
. The Royal Dramatic Theatre (Swedish Kungliga Dramatiska Teatern or Dramaten) is Sweden national stage for spoken drama , founded in 1788. Around one thousand shows are put on annually on the theatre eight running stages.The theatre has been at its present location in the Art Nouveau building at Nybroplan, Stockholm since 1908. The theatre was built by the architect Fredrik Lilljekvist. Famous artists like Carl Milles and Carl Larsson were involved in making the decorations, and some of the interior decorations were made by Prince Eugen.The theatre acting school, Dramatens elevskola, produced many actors and directors who would go on to be famous, including Gustaf Molander (who also taught there), Alf Sjoberg, Greta Garbo, Vera Schmiterlow, Signe Hasso, Ingrid Bergman, Gunnar Bjornstrand, Max von Sydow, and Bibi Andersson. The school was split off as a separate institution in 1967 (see Swedish National Academy of Mime and Acting).
. Opened in 1974, Kulturhuset (Swedish for The House of Culture) is a cultural centre to the south of Sergels Torg in central Stockholm. It is a controversial symbol for Stockholm and the growth of modernism in Sweden.Kulturhuset hosts many initiatives every year, with dozens of contemporary cultural events, including photo exhibitions, stories for kids, concerts, literary discussions, films, debates. It functions during daytime and nighttimeIt was the temporary seat of the Riksdag until 1983, while the Riksdag building was remodelled for a unicameral legislature.Kulturhuset was one of the main inspirations for Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris.
Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities
. The Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities (ostasiatiska Museet), Stockholm, Sweden. Is a public museum launched by Sweden Parliament in 1926, with the Swedish archaeologist Johan Gunnar Andersson (1874 1960) as founding director. The museum was originally based mainly on Andersson groundbreaking discoveries in China, during the 1920s, of a hitherto unknown East Asian prehistory. The museum today has wide ranging collections and exhibits of Asian archeology, classical arts, and culture, and a large Asia research library open to the public. The last time the museum published a comprehensive catalog was 1963 (Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities Album). The museum also publishes an annual journal focused on research on ancient East Asia, the Bulletin of the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities.
House of Nobility
. The House of Nobility (Swedish Riddarhuset) in Stockholm, Sweden, maintains records and acts as an interest group on behalf of the Swedish nobility.The name is literally translated as House of Knights, as the knights (Swedish riddare) belong to the higher ranks of the Swedish nobility, sometimes also together with titles as count (Swedish Greve) and baron (Swedish friherre). All esquires are also represented in the corporation (most of the families, so called untitled nobility, Swedish obetitlad adel). This is a tradition from the medieval times when Sweden during the Kalmar union only had one knight Sten Sture.
Stockholm Concert Hall
. The Stockholm Concert Hall (Swedish Konserthuset) is the main hall for orchestral music in Stockholm, Sweden.With a design by Ivar Tengbom chosen in competition, inaugurated in 1926, the Hall is home to the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra. It is also where the awarding ceremonies for the Nobel Prize and the Polar Music Prize are held annually. The interior includes work by Ewald Dahlskog, and the walls and ceiling in the minor hall, now known as Grunewald Hall, were painted by Isaac Grunewald. The exterior is the site of sculptor Carl Mille 1936 bronze fountain, the Orfeus brunnen ( the Orpheus Well ).The blue building lies to the east of Hotorget.
Royal Coin Cabinet
. The Royal Coin Cabinet (Swedish Kungliga Myntkabinettet) is a museum located on Slottsbacken, Gamla Stan, in central Stockholm, Sweden, dedicated to the history of money. It is an institution with a national responsibility for the conservation and the historical studies of coins, medals, and finance in general. Through exposition the institution offers insights in the economical history of the world, by lending objects from its collection to researchers and expositions all over the world it helps developing the knowledge within its scope, and by maintaining a national register of coin hoards it is of great importance to scholars in Sweden. Over the portal is a piece of art by Elisabeth Ekstrand from 1996 called Vattenporfyrlek (Water Porphyry Game) made of porphyry and marble.
. Berwaldhallen (Berwald Hall) is a concert hall situated in a park landscape at Dag Hammarskjoldsvag 3 in the ostermalm district of Stockholm, Sweden. Construction on the building began in 1976 based on a design by architects Erik Ahnborg and Sune Lindstrom. The hall is shaped as a hexagon.The seating is 1,302 places, of which 482 are in the stalls.The hall won a Europa Nostra architecture award as an admirably sensitive designed concert hall .The hall was originally supposed be located at the end of the Karlavagen esplanade but was moved further along the water. The site was selected to allow the hall to merge with nature and was positioned in the rock so it would not look too large. The interior hexagonal shape was partly for acoustic reasons, but the hall had to be acoustically adjusted several times subsequently. Gaps between the wood panels were adjusted to control the reverberation time.
Chinese Pavilion at Drottningholm
. The Chinese Pavilion (Swedish Kina slott), located in the grounds of the Drottningholm Palace park, is a Chinese inspired royal pavilion originally built between 1753 1769. The pavilion is currently one of Sweden Royal Palaces and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.The first building was a simple pavilion with two wings in Chinese style. The buildings were prefabricated at Arsenalsgatan in Stockholm. They were made in the log cabin technique and shipped to Drottningholm where they were assembled. The architects were probably Carl Harleman and Carl Johan Cronstedt. Everything was finished and in place in time for Queen Lovisa Ulrika birthday on 24 July 1735. The pavilion was a surprise gift to the Queen from King Adolf Frederick. At the presentation, she received the gold key to the castle from the young Crown Prince Gustav (later King Gustav III), seven years old, dressed as a Chinese mandarin.
. Stureplan is a high end public square in central Stockholm, between Norrmalm and ostermalm. The square connects the major streets Kungsgatan, Birger Jarlsgatan and Sturegatan. The buildings around the square house offices of banks and other financial institutions, as well as several corporate headquarters.Some of the country most famous and expensive restaurants and bars are located in the area around Stureplan. Some examples are Sturehof, Spy Bar, Riche, Laroy, Hell Kitchen, East and Sturecompagniet. Exclusive fashion houses with shops in the area include Versace, Hugo Boss, Gucci, and LV.Here you also find the Sturegallerian mall and the Scandic Anglais hotel, part of the Scandic Hotels chain.
. Kungsholmen is an island in Lake Malaren in Sweden, part of Stockholm City. It is situated north of Riddarfjarden and considered part of the historical province Uppland. Its area is 3.9 km2 with a perimeter of 8.9 km. The highest point is at Stadshagsplan (47 m). The total population is 56,754.Administratively, it is subdivided into the five districts Kungsholmen, Marieberg, Fredhall, Kristineberg and Stadshagen.Franciscan monks from the Grey Friar Abbey, Stockholm, began living on the island in the 15th century. Because of this, the island was named Munklagret (the Monk encampment). The monks subsisted on cattle breeding and fishing. They also managed the brickyard Sjalakoret at Ralambshov. As a result of the Swedish Reformation, which was concluded at the parliament in Vasteras 1527, the monks were expelled and the area became property of the crown.At the end of the 16th century, Johan III (son of Gustav Vasa) established an additional brickyard on the northern bank of the island. In 1635 the first bridge to Munklagret was built.
. Tre Kronor or Three Crowns was a castle located in Stockholm, Sweden, on the site where Stockholm Palace is today. It is believed to have been a citadel that Birger Jarl built into a royal castle in the middle of the 13th century. The name Tre Kronor is believed to have been given to the castle during the reign of King Magnus IV in the middle of the 14th century.Most of Sweden national library and royal archives were destroyed when the castle burned down in 1697, making the country early history unusually difficult to document.
. Liljevalchs konsthall (Swedish for Liljevalch Art Gallery ) is an art gallery located on the Djurgarden island in Stockholm, Sweden. Designed by architect Carl Bergsten (1879 1935) and inaugurated in March 1916, it is today owned by the City of Stockholm.Behind the entrance on the north western corner is a small vestibule. To the right of the latter is a large sculpture hall leading to two large galleries with skylights intended for paintings, flanked by series of smaller exhibition spaces. The eastern end of the building has a large scale portico facing a small park surrounded by the large windows of a small restaurant.One of the most appreciated exhibition spaces in Sweden, Liljevalch is renowned for its well proportioned spaces in a range of sizes and its restaurant Bla porten ( Blue Gate ). The concrete pillars and beams forming the structural framework of the building are left exposed as pilasters and mouldings in the fa?ade with brick walls and a horizontal row of windows filling the spaces between them. In front of and above the main entrance is a sculpture and a relief by Carl Milles.