. Philadelphia is the largest city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the fifth most populous city in the United States, and the core of the sixth largest metropolitan area in the country.Located in the Northeastern United States at the confluence of the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers, Philadelphia is the economic and cultural center of the Delaware Valley.The population of the city Pennsylvania only consolidated city county was measured at 1,526,006 in 2010 and estimated at 1,553,165 in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau.The five Pennsylvania counties nearest Philadelphia have a total population of 4,008,994, while its Metropolitan Statistical Area, which includes parts of four states, is home to more than 6 million people.In 1682, William Penn founded the city to serve as capital of Pennsylvania Colony.By the 1750s, Philadelphia had surpassed Boston to become the largest city and busiest port in British America, and second in the British Empire, behind London.During the American Revolution, Philadelphia played an instrumental role as a meeting place for the Founding Fathers of the United States, who signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the Constitution in 1787.Philadelphia was one of the nation capitals during the Revolutionary War, and the city served as the temporary U.S.capital while Washington, D.C., was under construction.During the 19th century, Philadelphia became a major industrial center and railroad hub that grew from an influx of European immigrants.
Philadelphia Museum of Art
. The Philadelphia Museum of Art is among the largest art museums in the United States.It has collections of more than 227,000 objects that include world class holdings of European and American paintings, prints, drawings, and decorative arts.The Main Building is visited by more than 800,000 people annually, and is located at the west end of Philadelphia Benjamin Franklin Parkway.Other museum sites include the Rodin Museum, also located on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway the Ruth and Raymond G.Perelman Building, across the street from the Main Building and historic houses in Fairmount Park.The Perelman Building opened in 2007, and houses some of the more popular collections, as well as the Museum library, with over 200,000 books and periodicals, and 1.6 million other documents.The museum is closed on Mondays, and the basic entrance price is doller20, with various concessions.The museum holds a total of about 25 special exhibitions every year, including touring exhibitions arranged with other museums in the United States and abroad.Some have an extra charge for entrance.
. The Liberty Bell is an iconic symbol of American independence, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.Formerly placed in the steeple of the Pennsylvania State House (now renamed Independence Hall), the bell today is located in the Liberty Bell Center in Independence National Historical Park.The bell was commissioned from the London firm of Lester and Pack (today the Whitechapel Bell Foundry) in 1752, and was cast with the lettering (part of Leviticus 25.10) Proclaim LIBERTY throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.It originally cracked when first rung after arrival in Philadelphia, and was twice recast by local workmen John Pass and John Stow, whose last names appear on the bell.In its early years, the Liberty Bell was used to summon lawmakers to legislative sessions and to alert citizens to public meetings and proclamations.No immediate announcement was made of the Second Continental Congress vote for independence, and thus the bell could not have rung on July 4, 1776, at least not for any reason related to that vote.Bells were rung to mark the reading of the Declaration of Independence on July 8, 1776, and while there is no contemporary account of the Liberty Bell ringing.
. Independence Hall is the centerpiece of Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, on Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets.It is known primarily as the location where both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution were debated and adopted.The building was completed in 1753 as the colonial legislature (later Pennsylvania State House) for the Province of Pennsylvania.It became the principal meeting place of the Second Continental Congress from 1775 to 1783 and was the site of the Constitutional Convention in the summer of 1787.The building is part of Independence National Historical Park and is listed as a World Heritage Site.
. The Franklin Institute is a science museum and center of science education and research in Philadelphia.It is named in honor of the noted American scientist and statesman Benjamin Franklin, and houses the Benjamin Franklin National Memorial.Founded in 1824, the Franklin Institute is one of the oldest centers of science education and development in the United States.
Eastern State Penitentiary
. The Eastern State Penitentiary, also known as ESP, is a former American prison in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.It is found at 2027 Fairmount Avenue between Corinthian Avenue and North 22nd Street in the Fairmount section of the city, and was operational from 1829 until 1971.The penitentiary refined the revolutionary system of separate incarceration first pioneered at the Walnut Street Jail which emphasized principles of reform rather than punishment.Notorious criminals such as bank robber Willie Sutton and Al Capone were held inside its innovative wagon wheel design.At its completion, the building was the largest and most expensive public structure ever erected, and quickly became a model for more than 300 prisons worldwide.
. The Philadelphia Zoo, located in the Centennial District of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the west bank of the Schuylkill River, was the first zoo in the United States.Chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on March 21, 1859, its opening was delayed by the American Civil War until July 1, 1874.It opened with 1,000 animals and an admission price of 25 cents.For a brief time, the zoo also housed animals brought over from safari on behalf of the Smithsonian Institution, which had not yet built the National Zoo in the 1850s.The Philadelphia Zoo is one of the premier zoos in the world for breeding animals that have been found difficult to breed in captivity.The zoo also works with many groups around the world to protect the natural habitats of the animals in their care.The zoo is 42 acres (17 ha) and is home to more than 1,300 animals, many of which are rare and endangered.The zoo features a children zoo, a paddleboat lake, a rainforest themed carousel, and many interactive and educational exhibits.
Please Touch Museum
. The Please Touch Museum is a children museum located in the Centennial District of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.The museum focuses on teaching children through interactive exhibits and special events, mostly aimed at children seven years old and younger.
. The Barnes Foundation is an American educational art and horticultural institution with locations in Merion, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia and Logan Square, Philadelphia.It was founded in 1922 by Albert C.Barnes, a chemist who collected art after making a fortune by co developing an early anti gonorrhea drug marketed as Argyrol and selling his company at the right time, before antibiotics came into use.Today, the foundation owns more than 2,500 objects, including 800 paintings, estimated to be worth about doller25 billion. These are primarily works by Impressionist and Modernist masters, but the collection includes many other paintings by leading European and American artists, as well as ancient works from other cultures.
Independence Visitor Center
. The Independence Visitor Center is the Official Visitor Center for the Greater Philadelphia Region, located at One North Independence Mall West, at corner of 6th and Market Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19106. The 50,000 square foot (4,600 m2) building was constructed in 2001 as the result of a cooperative effort among many area organizations, with funding from The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the Delaware River Port Authority, the Annenberg Foundation, the Connelly Foundation and the John S.and James L.Knight Foundation.The Independence Visitor Center has information on Independence National Historical Park (INHP), the City of Philadelphia, the Southern New Jersey and Delaware River waterfront, as well as Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties in Pennsylvania.
. Franklin Square is a hamlet and census designated place (CDP) in Nassau County, New York, United States.The population was 29,320 at the 2010 census.Franklin Square is an unincorporated area in the Town of Hempstead.The median income for a household in the CDP was doller80,164, and the median income for a family was doller87,485 as of a 2007.Males had a median income of doller50,805 versus doller35,207 for females.The per capita income for the CDP was doller24,149.About 3.7 percent of families and 5.0 percent of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.8 percent of those under age 18 and 7.7 percent of those age 65 or over.
Reading Terminal Market
. Reading Terminal Market is an enclosed public market found at 12th and Arch Streets in downtown Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.Over one hundred merchants offer fresh produce, meats, fish, artisan cheese, groceries, ice cream, flowers, grilled cheese, baked goods, crafts, books, clothing, and specialty and ethnic foods.Every space in the market is rented out three of the vendors are descendants of original market merchants.The market is open every day of the week (regular hours M Sat 8am 6pm Sun 9am 5pm).The Pennsylvania Dutch merchants (a small but significant minority) generally do not operate Sunday through Tuesday.
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
. The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, formerly the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, is the oldest natural science research institution and museum in the New World.It was founded in 1812 by many of the leading naturalists of the young republic with an expressed mission of the encouragement and cultivation of the sciences.For over two centuries of continuous operations, the Academy has sponsored expeditions, conducted original environmental and systematics research, and amassed natural history collections containing more than 17 million specimens.The Academy also has a long tradition of public exhibits and educational programs for both schools and the general public.
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
. The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts is a museum and art school in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.It was founded in 1805 and is the oldest art museum and school in the United States.The academy museum is internationally known for its collections of 19th and 20th century American paintings, sculptures, and works on paper.Its archives house important materials for the study of American art history, museums, and art training.
National Museum of American Jewish History
. The National Museum of American Jewish History (NMAJH) is a Smithsonian affiliated museum at 101 South Independence Mall East (S.5th Street) at Market Street in Center City Philadelphia.It was founded in 1976.Exhibits use pieces from the museum collection which includes over 20,000 objects and ranges from the Colonial period to the present day.Exhibits focus on Jews in America.Professor Jonathan Sarna of Brandeis University led the development of the core exhibit for the museum.
Citizens Bank Park
. Citizens Bank Park is a 43,651 seat baseball park in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, part of the South Philadelphia Sports Complex, and home of the Philadelphia Phillies.It is commonly referred to by locals simply as The Bankor CBP.Citizens Bank Park opened on April 3, 2004, and hosted its first regular season baseball game on April 12 of the same year, with the Phillies losing to the Cincinnati Reds, 4,1.The ballpark was built to replace the now demolished Veterans Stadium (a football/baseball multipurpose facility), and features natural grass and dirt playing field and also features a number of Philadelphia style food stands, including several which serve cheesesteaks, hoagies, and other regional specialties.The ballpark lies on the northeast corner of the Sports Complex, which includes Lincoln Financial Field, Wells Fargo Center, and Xfinity Live!
. Carpenter Hall is a two story brick building in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that was a key meeting place in the early history of the United States.Completed in 1775 and set back from Chestnut Street, the meeting hall was built for and is still owned by the Carpenter Company of the City and County of Philadelphia, the country oldest extant craft guild.The First Continental Congress met here.The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 15 April 1970 (70000552) and is part of Independence National Historical Park.
. Congress Hall is a historic hotel in Cape May, Cape May County, New Jersey, United States, occupying a city block bordered on the south by Beach Avenue and on the east by Washington Street Mall.It is a contributing building in the Cape May National Historic District.Congress Hall was first constructed in 1816 as a wooden boarding house for guests to the new seaside resort of Cape May and the proprietor, Thomas H.Hughes, called it The Big House.Locals, thinking it too big to be successful, called it Tommy Folly.In 1828, when Hughes was elected to the House of Representatives, he changed the name of the hotel to Congress Hall.It burned to the ground in Cape May Great Fire of 1878, but within a year, its owners had rebuilt the hotel in brick.
Pennsylvania Convention Center
. The Pennsylvania Convention Center is a multi use public facility in the Market East section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, designed to accommodate conventions, exhibitions, conferences and other events.The Lshaped complex occupies four city blocks.In the latter part of the 20th century, the Philadelphia Civic Center became outmoded.With the opening of the Spectrum in South Philadelphia, fewer big sporting and entertainment events used the Civic Center.
Arch Street Friends Meeting House
. The Arch Street Friends Meeting House, at 320 Arch Street at the corner of 4th Street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is a Meeting House of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).Built to reflect Friend testimonies of simplicity and equality, this building is little changed after more than two centuries of continuous use.Pennsylvania founder and Quaker William Penn deeded land to the Society of Friends in 1701 to be used as a burial ground.The east wing and center of the meetinghouse was built between 1803 and 1805 according to a design by the Quaker carpenter Owen Biddle, Jr.Biddle is best known as the author of a builder handbook, The Young Carpenter Assistant, published in 1805.The building was enlarged in 1810 11, with the addition of the west wing.Architects Walter Ferris Price and Morris and Erskine also contributed to the design and construction of the building.The firm Cope and Lippincott renovated the interior of the east wing and designed the two story addition behind the center building in 1968 69.
. The 72 stone steps before the entrance of the Philadelphia Museum of Art in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania have become known as the Rocky Stepsas a result of their appearance in the triple Oscar winning film Rocky and four of its sequels, Rocky II, III, V and Rocky Balboa, in which the eponymous character runs up the steps to the song Gonna Fly Now.Tourists often mimic Rocky famous climb, a metaphor for an underdog or an everyman rising to a challenge. A bronze statue of Rocky was briefly situated at the top of the steps for the filming of Rocky III.This statue, now located at the bottom right of the steps, is a popular photo opportunity for visitors.The top of the steps offers a commanding view of Eakins Oval, the Benjamin Franklin Parkway, and Philadelphia City Hall.
. SugarHouse Casino is a casino entertainment development along the Delaware River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Fishtown neighborhood, one of five stand alone casinos awarded a gaming license on December 20, 2006 by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.SugarHouse first phase opened on September 23, 2010.
Chemical Heritage Foundation
. The Chemical Heritage Foundation (CHF) is an organization in Philadelphia with a library, museum, archive, and conference center.It was founded in 1982 as a joint venture of the American Chemical Society and the University of Pennsylvania, as the Center for the History of Chemistry.Renamed the Chemical Heritage Foundation in 1992, it moved to its current location, 315 Chestnut Street in Old City, in 1996.CHF sponsors an exhibit of pioneering and landmark instruments used in scientific research.This exhibit is the result of efforts begun in 1991 by John Ferraro of the Argonne National Laboratory, and Robert Jarnutowski, a member of the Beckman Historical Committee.
Walnut Street Theatre
. Walnut Street is located in downtown Philadelphia and extends from the city Delaware River waterfront through Center City and West Philadelphia.Walnut Street has been characterized as the city premier shopping district.A portion of the street was ranked 12th in 2005 by Women Wear Daily among its list of the most expensive retail streets in North America, with rents of doller90 per square foot and is home to several upscale dining, retail and culturalestablishments.In 2013 rents had risen to an average of doller107 a foot, a growth of 34 percent over 2012 and the largest percentage growth of any retail corridor in the country.Running parallel to Walnut Street, one or two blocks to the north (depending on whether the side street Sansom Street is counted), is Chestnut Street.Pennsylvania Route 3 westbound follows Walnut Street from 38th Street (U.S.Route 13) to its western terminus at the Cobbs Creek Parkway.
Boat House Row
. Boathouse Row is a historic site located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on the east bank of the Schuylkill River, just north of the Fairmount Water Works and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.It consists of a row of 15 boathouses housing social and rowing clubs and their racing shells.Each of the boathouses has its own history, and all have addresses on both Boathouse Row and Kelly Drive (named after famous Philadelphia oarsman John B.Kelly, Jr.).Boathouses 2 through 14 are part of a group known as the Schuylkill Navy, which encompasses several other boathouses along the river.Boathouse 1 is Lloyd Hall and is the only public boathouse facility on the Row.Boathouse 15 houses the Sedgeley Club, which operates the Turtle Rock Lighthouse.The boathouses are all at least a century old, and some were built over 150 years ago.
American Philosophical Society
. The American Philosophical Society (APS), founded in 1743 and located in Philadelphia, is an eminent scholarly organization of international reputation, that promotes useful knowledge in the sciences and humanities through excellence in scholarly research, professional meetings, publications, library resources, and community outreach.Considered the first learned society in the United States, it has played an important role in American cultural and intellectual life for over 270 years.Through research grants, published journals, the American Philosophical Society Museum, an extensive library, and regular meetings, the society continues to advance a variety of disciplines in the humanities and the sciences.Philosophical Hall, now a museum, is located immediately east of Independence Hall and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966.it is within Independence National Historical Park.
Old City Hall
. Toronto Old City Hall was home to its city council from 1899 to 1966 and remains one of the city most prominent structures.The building is located at the corner of Queen and Bay Streets, across Bay Street from Nathan Phillips Square and the new City Hall in the centre of downtown Toronto.The heritage landmark has a distinctive clock tower which heads the length of Bay Street from Front Street to Queen Street as a terminating vista.Old City Hall was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984.
. Fort Mifflin, originally called Fort Island Battery and also known as Mud Island Fort, was commissioned in 1771 and sits on Mud Island (or Deep Water Island) on the Delaware River below Philadelphia, Pennsylvania near Philadelphia International Airport.During the American Revolutionary War, the British Army bombarded and captured the fort as part of their conquest of Philadelphia in autumn 1777.The United States Army began to rebuild the fort in 1794 and continued to garrison and build on the site through the 19th century.It housed prisoners during the American Civil War.The army decommissioned Fort Mifflin in 1962 and returned it to the City of Philadelphia.Historic preservationists have restored the fort.
Institute of Contemporary Art Philadelphia
. The Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) is an artistic and cultural centre on The Mall in London, just off Trafalgar Square.It is located within Nash House, part of Carlton House Terrace, near the Duke of York Steps and Admiralty Arch.It contains galleries, a theatre, two cinemas, a bookshop and a bar.Since 2011, the director has been Gregor Muir.
Second Bank of the United States
. The Second Bank of the United States, located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was the second federally authorized Hamiltonian National Bank in the United States during its 20 year charter from February 1816 to January 1836.A private corporation with public duties, the bank handled all fiscal transactions for the U.S.Government, and was accountable to Congress and the U.S.Treasury.Twenty percent of its capital was owned by the federal government, the Bank single largest stockholder.Four thousand private investors held 80 percent of the Bank capital, including one thousand Europeans.The bulk of the stocks were held by a few hundred wealthy Americans.In its time, the institution was the largest monied corporation in the world.
Schuylkill River Trail
. The Schuylkill River Trail is a multi use trail under construction for expansion along the banks of the Schuylkill River in southeastern Pennsylvania.Large stretches of the trail are rail trails.When complete, the trail is planned to run from the river headwaters in Schuylkill County to Fort Mifflin in Philadelphia, a distance of about 140 miles (230 km).as of 2007, several complete portions of trail exist, including a section from Auburn to Hamburg, a 19.5 mile (31.4 km) portion from Reading to Pottstown and a 23.2 mile (37.3 km) portion from Oaks to Locust Street in Center City, Philadelphia.