. Lisbon is one of the oldest cities in the world, and the oldest in Western Europe, predating other modern European capitals such as London, Paris and Rome by centuries.Julius Caesar made it a municipium called Felicitas Julia, adding to the name Olissipo.Ruled by a series of Germanic tribes from the 5th century, it was captured by the Moors in the 8th century.In 1147, the Crusaders under afonso Henriques reconquered the city and since then it has been a major political, economic and cultural centre of Portugal.Unlike most capital cities, Lisbon status as the capital of Portugal has never been granted or confirmed officially by statute or in written form.Its position as the capital has formed through constitutional convention, making its position as de facto capital a part of the Constitution of Portugal.Lisbon enjoys a Mediterranean climate.among all the metropolises in Europe, it has the warmest winters, with average temperatures 15 degreeC (59 degreeF) during the day and 8 degreeC (46 degreeF) at night from December to February.The typical summer season lasts about six months, from May to October, although also in November, March and april temperatures sometimes reach.
Sao Jorge Castle
. The Castle of Sao Jorge (Portuguese Castelo de Sao Jorge Portuguese pronunciation is a Moorish castle occupying a commanding hilltop overlooking the historic centre of the Portuguese city of Lisbon and Tagus River.The strongly fortified citadel dates from medieval period of Portuguese history, and is one of the main tourist sites of Lisbon.
Museu Calouste Gulbenkian
. Museu Calouste Gulbenkian (Calouste Gulbenkian Museum) is a museum in Lisbon, Portugal, containing a collection of ancient, and some modern art.The museum was founded according to Calouste Gulbenkian last will, in order to accommodate and display Gulbenkian art collection belonging now to the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
Santa Justa Lift
. The Santa Justa Lift (Portuguese Elevador de Santa Justa, pronounced), also called Carmo Lift (Portuguese Elevador do Carmo), is an elevator or lift in civil parish of Santa Justa, in the historical city of Lisbon, situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa.It connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square).Since its construction, the Lift has become a tourist attraction for Lisbon as, among the urban lifts in the city, Santa Justa is the only remaining vertical one.Others, including Elevador da Gloria and Elevador da Lavra, are funiculars, and the other lift constructed around the same time, the Elevator of Sao Juliao has since been demolished.
. The Jeronimos Monastery or Hieronymites Monastery, (Mosteiro dos Jeronimos, Portuguese pronunciation), is located near the shore of the parish of Belem, in the Lisbon Municipality, Portugal.The monastery is one of the most prominent examples of the Portuguese Late Gothic Manueline style of architecture in Lisbon.It was classified a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with the nearby Tower of Belem, in 1983.
. The Lisbon Oceanarium (Portuguese Oceanoario de Lisboa, pronounced) is an oceanarium in Lisbon, Portugal.It is located in the Parque das Nacoes, which was the exhibition grounds for the Expo 98.It is the largest indoor aquarium in Europe.
. Lisbon Zoo (Jardim Zoologico de Lisboa) is a zoological garden in Lisbon, Portugal.It was founded in 1884.It was the product of the efforts of Dr.Van Der Laan, owner of the largest aviary in Portugal, with the support of Bento de Sousa, Sousa Martins, and May Figueira.In 1905 it was transferred to its present location in Sete Rios, Lisbon.The mission of the Lisbon Zoo includes the conservation and breeding of endangered species, as well as scientific research, and educational and recreational activities.about 800,000 people visit the zoo annually.
Padrao dos Descobrimentos
. Padrao dos Descobrimentos (Portuguese pronunciation lit.Monument to the Discoveries) is a monument on the northern bank of the Tagus River estuary, in the civil parish of Santa Maria de Belem, Lisbon.Located along the river where ships departed to explore and trade with India and Orient, the monument celebrates the Portuguese age of Discovery (or age of Exploration) during the 15th and 16th centuries.
Igreja de Sao Roque
. The Igreja de Sao Roque (Church of Saint Roch) in Lisbon was the earliest Jesuit church in the Portuguese world, and one of the first Jesuit churches anywhere.It served as the Society home church in Portugal for over 200 years, before the Jesuits were expelled from that country.after the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake, the church and its ancillary residence were given to the Santa Casa da Misericordia de Lisboa (the Charity House of Lisbon) to replace their church and headquarters which had been destroyed.It remains a part of the Santa Casa today, one of its many heritage buildings.
Monastery of Sao Vicente de Fora
. The Church or Monastery of Sao Vicente de Fora meaning Monastery of St.Vincent Outside the Walls is a 17th century church and monastery in the city of Lisbon, Portugal.It is one of the most important monasteries and mannerist buildings in the country.The monastery also contains the royal pantheon of the Braganza monarchs of Portugal.
25 de abril Bridge
. The 25 de abril Bridge (Ponte 25 de abril 25th of april Bridge, Portuguese pronunciation) is a suspension bridge connecting the city of Lisbon, capital of Portugal, to the municipality of almada on the left (south) bank of the Tejo river.It was inaugurated on august 6, 1966, and a train platform was added in 1999.Because it is a suspension bridge and has similar coloring, it is often compared to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, US.It was built by the american Bridge Company which constructed the San FranciscoOakland Bay Bridge, but not the Golden Gate.With a total length of 2,277 m, it is the 27th largest suspension bridge in the world.The upper deck carries six car lanes, while the lower deck carries two train tracks.Until 1974, the bridge was named Salazar Bridge (Ponte Salazar).The name 25 de abril commemorates the Carnation Revolution.
. The Patriarchal Cathedral of St.Mary Major (Portuguese Santa Maria Maior de Lisboa or Se de Lisboa) or simply Lisbon Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Cathedral located in Lisbon, Portugal.The oldest church in the city is the see of the archdiocese of Lisbon.Since the beginning of the construction of the cathedral, in the year 1147, the building has been modified several times and survived many earthquakes.It is nowadays a mix of different architectural styles.
Berardo Collection Museum
. The Berardo Collection Museum (in Portuguese Museu Coleccao Berardo) is a museum of modern and contemporary art in Belem, a district of Lisbon, Portugal.The programming of the museum is guided by the rotation of various artistic movements that integrate the collection of works from the collection valued by the auction house Christie at euro316 million.The museum collection is representative of the fine arts of the 20th century and early 21st century, especially European and american art.The collection covers major movements from surrealism to pop art, hyper realism, minimalist art to conceptual art, presented in various media.It covers Portuguese modern and contemporary art in particular.
Rua augusta arch
. The Rua augusta arch is a stone, triumphal arch like, historical building and visitor attraction in Lisbon, Portugal, on Commerce Square, built to commemorate the city reconstruction after the 1755 earthquake.It has six columns (some 11 m high) and is adorned with statues of various historical figures.Significant height from the arch crown to the cornice imparts an appearance of heaviness to the structure.The associated space is filled with the coat of arms of Portugal.The allegorical group at the top, made by French sculptor Celestin anatole Calmels, represents Glory rewarding Valor and Genius.Originally designed as a bell tower, the building ultimately transformed into elaborate arch within more than century long delays.
Church of Santa Engroacia
. The Church of Santa Engroacia (Portuguese Igreja de Santa Engroacia, pronounced) is a 17th century monument of the city of Lisbon, in Portugal.In the 20th century the church has been converted into the National Pantheon (Panteao Nacional, pronounced), in which important Portuguese personalities are buried.It is located in the neighbourhood of alfama, close to another important Lisbon monument, the Monastery of Sao Vicente de Fora.
ajuda National Palace
. The ajuda National Palace (Portuguese Paloacio Nacional da ajuda, Portuguese pronunciation) is a neoclassical monument in the civil parish of ajuda in the city of Lisbon, central Portugal.Built on the site of a temporary wooden building constructed to house the Royal family after the 1755 earthquake and tsunami, it was originally begun by architect Manuel Caetano de Sousa, who planned a late Baroque Rococo building.Later, it was entrusted to Jose da Costa e Silva and Francisco Xavier Fabri, who planned a magnificent building in the modern neoclassical style.
National Museum of ancient art
. The Museu Nacional de arte antiga (Portuguese pronunciation) is an art museum in Lisbon, Portugal.The museum is also known as MNaa (in English, National Museum of ancient art) and as the Museu das Janelas Verdes (Green Windows Museum) due to it being located at the Rua das Janelas Verdes (Green Windows Street).It is located in the Paloacio de alvor Pombal, a former palace of the Count of alvor, later purchased by the Marquis of Pombal.
. The Carmo Convent (Portuguese Convento da Ordem do Carmo) is a historical building in Lisbon, Portugal.The mediaeval convent was ruined in the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake, and the ruins of its Gothic church (the Carmo Church or Igreja do Carmo) are the main trace of the great earthquake still visible in the city.The Carmo Convent is located in the Chiado neighbourhood, on a hill overlooking the Rossio square and facing the Lisbon Castle hill.It is located in front of a quiet square (Carmo Square), very close to the Santa Justa Lift.Nowadays the ruined Carmo Church is used as an archaeological museum (the Museu arqueologico do Carmo or Carmo archaeological Museum).
National Coach Museum
. The National Coach Museum (Portuguese Museu Nacional dos Coches) is located in the Belem district of Lisbon, in Portugal.The museum has one of the finest collections of historical carriages in the world, being one of the most visited museums of the city.The museum is housed in the old Horse Riding arena of the Belem Palace, formerly a Royal Palace which is now the official residence of the President of Portugal.The Horse Riding area was built after 1787 following the Neoclassical design of Italian architect Giacomo azzolini.Several Portuguese artists decorated the interior of the building with paintings and tile (azulejo) panels.The inner arena is 50 m long and 17 m wide, and was used for training horses and for horse riding exhibitions and games, which could be watched from its balconies by the Portuguese royal family.
. The Navy Museum (Portuguese Museu de Marinha) of Lisbon is dedicated to all aspects of the History of navigation in Portugal.The museum is administered by the Portuguese Navy and is located in the touristic district of Belem.It occupies a part of the neo Manueline Western wing of the Jeronimos Monastery (together with the National Museum of archaeology) as well as a modern annex built to the North of the monastery.The history of the museum is deeply related to King Luis I (1838 1889), who was a lover of oceanographic studies and an accomplished navigator himself.He created in 1863 a collection of items related to the preservation of maritime history of Portugal, a collection that was enlarged in the following decades, culminating in the inauguration of the Maritime Museum in 1963 in its present location.The exhibits include historical paintings, archaeological items and many scale models of ships used in Portugal since the 15th century.It is one of the most visited Portuguese museums.
Queluz National Palace
. The Queluz National Palace (Portuguese Paloacio Nacional de Queluz, Portuguese pronunciation) is a Portuguese 18th century palace located at Queluz, a freguesia of the modern day Sintra Municipality, in the Lisbon District.One of the last great Rococo buildings to be designed in Europe, the palace was conceived as a summer retreat for Dom Pedro of Braganza, later to become husband and then king consort to his own niece, Queen Maria I.It served as a discreet place of incarceration for Queen Maria as her descent into madness continued in the years following Dom Pedro death in 1786.Following the destruction by fire of the ajuda Palace in 1794, Queluz Palace became the official residence of the Portuguese prince regent, John VI, and his family and remained so until the Royal Family fled to the Portuguese colony of Brazil in 1807 following the French invasion of Portugal.
. The Estrela Basilica (Portuguese Basilica da Estrela), or Royal Basilica and Convent of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, is a basilica and ancient carmelite convent in Lisbon, Portugal, built by order of Queen Maria I of Portugal, as a fulfilled promise for giving birth to a son (Jose, Prince of Brazil).The official name of the church is the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.Construction started in 1779 and the basilica was finished in 1790, after the death of Jose caused by smallpox in 1788.The Estrela Basilica was the first church in the world dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
. The Belem National Palace, or alternately National Palace of Belem, (Portuguese Paloacio Nacional de Belem) has, overtime, been the official residence of Portuguese monarchs and, after the installation of the First Republic, the Presidents of the Portuguese Republic.Located in the civil parish of Santa Maria de Belem, the palace is located on a small hill that fronts the Praca afonso de albuquerque, near the historical centre of Belem and the Monastery of the Jeronimos, close to the waterfront of the Tagus River.The five buildings that make up the main facade of the Palace date back to the second half of the 17th century, and were built at a time when, more and more, the monarchy and nobility were escaping the urbanized confines of Lisbon.
oaguas Livres aqueduct
. The oaguas Livres aqueduct (Portuguese aqueduto das oaguas Livres, pronounced, aqueduct of the Free Waters) is a historic aqueduct in the city of Lisbon, Portugal.It is one of the most remarkable examples of 18th century Portuguese engineering.The main course of the aqueduct covers 18 km, but the whole network of canals extends through nearly 58 km.The city of Lisbon has always suffered from the lack of drinking water, and King John V decided to build an aqueduct to bring water from sources in the parish of Canecas, in the modern municipality of Odivelas.The project was paid for by a special sales tax on beef, olive oil, wine, and other products.
Fundacao arpad Szenes vieira Da Silva
. oarpoad Szenes (also French oarpoad Szenes May 6, 1897, Budapest January 16, 1985, Paris) was a Hungarian Jewish abstract painter who worked in France.He and the Portuguese French painter Maria Helena Vieira da Silva married in 1930 and became French citizens in the 1950s.The oarpoad Szenes Vieira da Silva Foundation, inaugurated in November 1994 and located in Lisbon, houses a museum that prominently features both artists works.
Vasco da Gama Tower
. The Vasco da Gama Tower (Portuguese Torre Vasco da Gama, pronounced) is a 145 m lattice tower with skyscraper in Lisbon, Portugal, built over the Tagus river.It is named after Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama, who was the first European to arrive in India by sail, in 1498.The architects of the tower were Leonor Janeiro, Nick Jacobs and SOM (Skidmore, Owings and Merrill).The steel structure, representing the sail of a caravel, was assembled by engineering company Martifer.The tower was built in 1998 for the Expo 98 World Fair.at the 120 m, there was an observation deck and, just below it, a luxury panoramic restaurant.at the base of the tower was a three story building that served as the European Union Pavilion during the expo.
. MEO arena (formerly Pavilhao atlantico) is a multi purpose indoor arena in Lisbon, Portugal.The arena is among the largest indoor arenas in the European Union and the largest in Portugal with a capacity of 20,000 people and was built in 1998 for Expo 98.It is named after its main sponsor, MEO.
Igreja de Santo Estevao
. Igreja de Santo Estevao is a church in Lisbon, Portugal.It is classified as a National Monument.
Estoadio Universitoario de Lisboa
. The Lisbon University Stadium (Portuguese Estoadio Universitoario de Lisboa) is a unit within the University of Lisbon, and a multivenue park located in alvalade, Lisbon, comprising several sports facilities, and mostly known for its main venue and namesake, the Estoadio de Honra, a multi use stadium.It also includes several indoors arenas, tennis courts, football fields, a golf course, a swimming pool complex and a medical centre.It was under direct government management until 2013, when it was integrated in the university.
Central Mosque of Lisbon
. The Central Mosque of Lisbon (Portuguese Mesquita Central de Lisboa) is the main mosque of Lisbon, Portugal, serving the capital city Islamic community.The building was designed by architects antonio Maria Braga and Joao Paulo Conceicao its external features include a minaret and a dome.The mosque contains reception halls, a prayer hall and an auditorium.The Central Mosque has formed a council to provide financial and others services to needy members of the local Muslim community.although permission to build the center was requested in 1966, it was not granted until 1978 after the 1973 oil crisis and the arab oil producing nations gained increasing economic and political status.The structure was finally inaugurated in 1985.
Coliseu dos Recreios
. Coliseu dos Recreios, or Coliseu de Lisboa (Lisbon Coliseum), is a concert hall in Lisbon, Portugal.It is situated in the Rua das Portas de Santo antao in Pombaline Lower Town.The venue was opened on 14 august 1890, and a major refurbishment was completed in February 1994.The hall capacity is from 2,846 (all seated) up to 4,000 people, depending on how it is configured.Beside musical concerts, other shows are hosted there, including theatre, circus, dance shows and awards ceremonies.Other performance acts have included Cirque du Soleil, Tango Fire, and several ballets.