. The Helsinki metropolitan area includes urban core of Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kauniainen and surrounding commuter towns.It is the world northernmost metro area of over one million people, and the city is the northernmost capital of an EU member state.The Helsinki metropolitan area is the fourth largest Nordic metropolitan area after the metropolitan areas of Copenhagen, Stockholm and Oslo and Helsinki city is the third biggest Nordic city after Stockholm and Oslo.Helsinki is Finland major political, educational, financial, cultural and research centre as well as one of northern Europe major cities.Approximately 70percent of foreign companies operating in Finland have settled in the Helsinki region.The nearby municipality of Vantaa is the location of Helsinki Airport, with frequent service to various destinations in Europe and Asia.
. Suomenlinna, until 1918 Viapori (Finnish), or Sveaborg (Swedish), is an inhabited sea fortress built on six islands (Kustaanmiekka, Susisaari, Iso Mustasaari, Pikku Mustasaari, Lansi Mustasaari and L angoren) and which now forms part of the city of Helsinki, the capital of Finland.Suomenlinna is a UNESCO World Heritage site and popular with tourists and locals, who enjoy it as a picturesque picnic site.Originally named Sveaborg (Fortress of Svea), or Viapori as called by Finnish speaking Finns, it was renamed Suomenlinna (Castle of Finland) in 1918 for patriotic and nationalistic reasons, though it is sometimes known by its original name.
. Temppeliaukio Church (Finnish Temppeliaukion kirkko, Swedish Tempelplatsens kyrka) is a Lutheran church in the Toolo neighborhood of Helsinki.The church was designed by architects and brothers Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen and opened in 1969.It is also known as the Church of the Rock.Plans for the Temppeliaukio or Tempelplatsen (Temple square) was started as early as the 1930s when a plot of land was selected for the building and a competition for the design was started.The plan by J.S.Siren, the winner of the second competition to design the architecture of the church, was interrupted in its early stages when World War II began in 1939.After the war, there was another architectural competition, which was won by Timo Suomalainen and Tuomo Suomalainen in 1961.
. Uspenski Cathedral (Finnish Uspenskin katedraali, Swedish Uspenskij katedralen, Russian ????????? ?????, Uspenskij sobor) is an Eastern Orthodox cathedral in Helsinki, Finland, dedicated to the Dormition of the Theotokos (the Virgin Mary).Its name comes from the Old Church Slavonic word uspenie, which denotes the Dormition.Designed by the Russian architect Aleksey Gornostayev (1808 1862).The cathedral was built after his death in 1862 1868.The crypt chapel of the cathedral is named after the holy Alexander Hotovitzky, who served as vicar of the Orthodox parish of Helsinki 1914 1917.The Cathedral is set upon a hillside on the Katajanokka peninsula overlooking the city.On the back of the cathedral, there is a plaque commemorating Russian Emperor Alexander II, who was the sovereign of the Grand Duchy of Finland during the cathedral construction.Main cathedral of the Finnish Orthodox Church in the diocese of Helsinki, Uspenski Cathedral is claimed to be the largest orthodox church in Western Europe.
. Seurasaari (Swedish Folison) is an island and a district in Helsinki, Finland, known mostly as the location of the Seurasaari Open Air Museum, which consists of old, mainly wooden buildings transplanted from elsewhere in Finland and placed in the dense forest landscape of the island.Every summer, many Helsinkians come to Seurasaari to enjoy the rural, peaceful outdoor atmosphere.Despite the visitors, the island has a variety of wildlife, especially birds, but also red squirrels and hares.The height of the island popularity is at Midsummer, when a huge bonfire (Finnish juhannuskokko, Swedish midsommareld) is built on a small isle just off the island coast, and ignited by a newlywed couple.Thousands of people, both tourists and Helsinkians, watch the burning of the bonfire from both Seurasaari itself and from boats anchored near it.
. Kiasma (built 1993 1998) is a contemporary art museum located on Mannerheimintie in Helsinki, Finland.Its name kiasma, Finnish for chiasma, alludes to the basic conceptual idea of its architect, Steven Holl.The museum exhibits the contemporary art collection of the Finnish National Gallery founded in 1990.Its central goal is to make contemporary art better known and strengthen its status.
National Museum of Finland
. The National Museum of Finland (Finnish Suomen kansallismuseo, Swedish Finlands nationalmuseum) presents Finnish history from the Stone Age to the present day, through objects and cultural history.The Finnish National Romantic style building is located in central Helsinki and operates in collaboration with the National Board of Antiquities (Finnish Museovirasto, Swedish Museiverket), an association related to the government Ministry of Culture and Education.[
. A distinctive landmark in the Helsinki cityscape, with its tall, green dome surrounded by four smaller domes, the building is in the neoclassical style.It was designed by Carl Ludvig Engel as the climax of his Senate Square layout it is surrounded by other, smaller buildings designed by him.The church plan is a Greek cross (a square centre and four equilateral arms), symmetrical in each of the four cardinal directions, with each arm fa
. The Sibelius Monument (Finnish Sibelius monumentti) is dedicated to the Finnish composer Jean Sibelius (1865 1957).The monument is located at the Sibelius Park (Finnish Sibeliuspuisto) in the district of Toolo in Helsinki, the capital city of Finland.The monument was designed by Eila Hiltunen and unveiled on September 7, 1967.Originally it sparked a lively debate about the merits and flaws of abstract art, for which reason an effigy of Sibelius was included in the work.It consists of series of more than 600 hollow steel pipes welded together in a wave like pattern.The purpose of the artist was to capture the essence of the music of Sibelius.The monument weighs 24 tonnes (24 long tons 26 short tons) and measures 8.5 ? 10.5 ? 6.5 metres.A smaller version of the monument is located at the UNESCO headquarters in Paris.A work with a similar concept, also designed by Hiltunen, is located at the grounds of the United Nations headquarters in New York City.
Helsinki Olympic Stadium
. The Helsinki Olympic Stadium (Finnish Helsingin Olympiastadion Swedish Helsingfors Olympiastadion), located in the Toolo district about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the centre of the Finnish capital Helsinki, is the largest stadium in the country, nowadays mainly used for hosting sports events and big concerts.The stadium is best known for being the centre of activities in the 1952 Summer Olympics.During those games, it hosted athletics, equestrian show jumping, and the football finals.
. Linnanmaki (Swedish Borgbacken, colloquially Lintsi, literal translation Castle Hill) is an amusement park in Helsinki, Finland.It was opened on May 27, 1950 and is owned by non profit Lasten Paivan Saatio (Children Day Foundation).Linnanmaki has 43 different rides of different sizes. It also has other attractions, such as arcades, games, kiosks, restaurants and an outdoor stage on which different performers appear in the summer.In 2006, the park welcomed its 50th million visitor.In 2007 Linnanmaki had 1.2 million visitors.
. A comprehensive history of the Finlandia Hall, Events, People and Music, was published in 2001 by the Otava Publishing Company.The book was written by Pekka Suhonen, Petri Mustonen and Eeva Kaarina Holopainen.The versatile and flexible meeting, exhibition, festival and concert facilities of the Finlandia Hall offer a setting for both large international congresses and small scale meetings, and for various entertainment and public events.The Finlandia Hall has proved its ability to serve as a venue for several world congresses and as a forum for the world top economic and political leaders.The building itself is a popular attraction visited by thousands of tourists from all over the world every year.The building is owned by the City of Helsinki.
. The Mannerheim Museum is located in Helsinki, Finland.It is dedicated to preserving and displaying items related to the life and times of Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim, a Finnish statesman and military officer.The Mannerheim Museum is located on top of a hill in a prestigious residential area next to the Kaivopuisto park in Helsinki.The building was the home of Mannerheim from 1924 to 1951.With the exception of a few rooms that have been converted for exhibition purposes, his home has been preserved in its original state.
. The museum includes a permanent exhibition devoted to the history of Finnish design from 1870 to the present day, as well as space for changing exhibitions.The museum permanent collection consists of over 75,000 objects, 40,000 drawings and 100,000 drawings.Design Museum arranges also international touring exhibitions and publishes books and exhibition catalogues.From museum home page there is a free access to several web exhibitions on Finnish design, for example about production of Arabia Factory, Marimekko and designers Kaj Franck and Oiva Toikka.Latest web exhibition is about 1950 60s design an iconic golden era of Finnish Design.
. Parliament House (Finnish Eduskuntatalo, Swedish Riksdagshuset) is the seat of the Parliament of Finland.It is located in the Finnish capital of Helsinki, in the district of Toolo.The building has five floors, each of which is unique.The floors are connected by a white marble staircase and famous paternoster lifts.Most important for visitors are the main lobby, the stately plenary chamber and the large reception hall, the so called Hall of State.
. The Hietaniemi cemetery (Finnish Hietaniemen hautausmaa, Swedish Sandudds begravningsplats) is located mainly in the Lapinlahti quarter and partly in the Etu Toolo district of Helsinki, the capital of Finland.It is the location for Finnish state funeral services.The cemetery is partly located at a promontory, and partly directly adjacent to the Hietaniemi Beach.Nightly parties, flirting, petting, and more, are recurrent concerns in letters to the editor alarmed by alleged dishonourable conduct at the gravestones.The cemetery is a popular tourist attraction, especially amongst Finns visiting the graves of relatives fallen in wars or the graves of the many famous Finns buried there.
Natural History Museum
. The Finnish Museum of Natural History (Finnish Luonnontieteellinen keskusmuseo, Swedish Naturhistoriska centralmuseet), established in 1988, is a research institution under the University of Helsinki in Finland.It is responsible for the national botanical, zoological, geological and paleontological collections consisting of samples from around the world.The collections serve scientific, public informational and educational purposes.
. Barona Areena (from 1999 to January 2009 LansiAuto Areena) is an arena in Espoo, Finland, located by the ice rink and the fair center, in Tapiola.It was opened in 1999 and holds 7017 people for ice hockey games or 8414 for concerts. Its sponsor is Finland largest chain of fast food hamburger outlets and restaurants, Hesburger OY.Primarily used for ice hockey, it is the home arena of the Espoo Blues, one of the Finnish Championship League fourteen teams.
Museum of Finnish Architecture
. The Museum of Finnish Architecture (Finnish Suomen arkkitehtuurimuseo, Swedish Finlands arkitekturmuseum) is an architectural museum in Helsinki, Finland.Established in 1956, it is the second oldest museum of its kind (after Moscow) devoted specifically to architecture.The museum has large collections of drawings, photographs and architectural scale models.It also has its own library and bookstore.The museum organises exhibitions on both Finnish and foreign architecture as well as exhibitions on Finnish architecture for touring abroad.It also publishes its own books.Although independent of SAFA and its journal The Finnish Architectural Review (ARK), the museum is seen, along with these, as the key influence in continuously promoting modern architecture in Finland.This policy has been promoted vigorously abroad and sponsored by the Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of education.
Finnish National Gallery
. Finnish National Gallery (Finnish Suomen Kansallisgalleria, Swedish Finlands Nationalgalleri) is the largest art museum institution of Finland.It consists of the Ateneum art museum, the museum of contemporary art, Kiasma and the Sinebrychoff Art Museum.The organization functions are supported by the conservation department, the administration and services department and Kehys, the art museum development department.
. Havis Amanda is a nude female statue in Helsinki, Finland.It was sculpted by Ville Vallgren (1855 1940) in 1906 in Paris, but was not erected at its present location at the Market Square in Kaartinkaupunki until 1908.Havis Amanda is one of Vallgren Parisian Art Nouveau works.It is cast in bronze and the fountain it resides in is made of granite.She is a mermaid who stands on seaweed as she rises from the water, with four fish spouting water at her feet and surrounded by four sea lions.She is depicted leaning backwards as if to say goodbye to her element.Vallgren intention was to symbolize the rebirth of Helsinki.The height of the statue is 194 centimetres and with the pedestal it stands 5 metres tall.According to Vallgren letters the model for the statue was a then 19 year old Parisian lady, Marcelle Delquini.
. Tamminiemi (Villa Ekudden in Swedish), is a villa located in the Meilahti district of Helsinki.It was one of the official residences of the President of Finland from 1940 until 1981.From that date, until his death, it served as the residence of President Urho Kekkonen.It is now the Urho Kekkonen Museum.It is located in a park by the sea.Tamminiemi floor area is about 450 square metres.Designed by architects Sigurd Frosterus and Gustaf Strengell, the jugendstil villa was built in 1903 for the Danish born businessman Jorgen Nissen.The villa was later owned or rented by a number of individuals, before being acquired by the publisher and artistic patron Amos Anderson in 1924.Anderson donated Tamminiemi to the Finnish State in 1940, to serve as a presidential residence.Although Presidents Ryti and Mannerheim resided at Tamminiemi, the villa is particularly associated with President Kekkonen due in large part to the fact that it was his home for around thirty years.President Paasikivi preferred to use the Presidential Palace as his official residence during his presidency.Tamminiemi also has a famous sauna which president Kekkonen used to entertain his guests.
. Tennispalatsi (Swedish Tennispalatset lit.Tennis Palace), is a cultural and recreational center in Kamppi, Helsinki, Finland.It houses a Finnkino multiplex movie theatre, the Helsinki City Art Museum, the Museum of Cultures, and small shops.Tennispalatsi was built in 1938 in preparation for the 1940 Summer Olympics.The functionalist building, which had four tennis courts, was designed by Helge Lundstrom.In the 1952 Summer Olympics the basketball preliminary games were held in Tennispalatsi.
. The Suomenlinna Church (Finnish Suomenlinnan kirkko, Swedish Sveaborgs kyrka) in Finland was built as an Eastern Orthodox garrison church for the Russian troops of Suomenlinna sea fortress in 1854 and originally had five onion domes.The church was designed by Konstantin Thon, an official architect of Imperial Russia during the reign of czar Nicholas I, and whose major works include the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, the Grand Kremlin Palace and the Kremlin Armoury in Moscow.Its extensive iconography was warehoused by the city of Helsinki, but their current whereabouts are unknown.Today its central dome doubles as a lighthouse making it one of only a few churches in the world that double as a lighthouse.The signal blink is the Morse code for the letter H for Helsinki.It is a very popular wedding church and one of the first landmarks for people arriving in Helsinki by sea.
. In the summer of 1875, the Governor General of Russian Finland in 1866 1881, Count Nikolay Adlerberg, who was a frequent theatregoer, received Alexander II of Russia permission to build a theatre for Russians living in Helsinki.The auditorium of the theatre was decorated by the Saint Petersburg architect Jeronim Osuhovsky, and the Finnish artist Severin Falkman decorated the ceiling paintings, which depict twelve cupids, reminding of the Mariinsky Theatre in Saint Petersburg.The theatre technology was designed by Iosif Vorontsov.The theatre was completed in October 1879, and in February 1880 it was named after Russian Tsar Alexander II.
. Puuhamaa is an amusement park opened in 1984 in the village of Tervakoski, in the municipality of Janakkala, Finland.Instead of electrical rides, it mainly offers things to do for children slides and waterslides, bouncy castles, race tracks, etc.It also has a minigolf course and a video arcade.Its attendance peaks at roughly 5,000 children a day.The park has an entrance fee, but all its features are free.
. Sonera Stadium (until August 2010 Finnair Stadium also known as Toolon jalkapallostadion, Toolo football stadium ) is a football stadium in Helsinki, Finland.The stadium was inaugurated in 2000.It has a capacity of 10,770 spectators.In July 2006, a new artificial turf with a FIFA two star rating was installed, replacing a first generation artificial pitch used for the two previous years.It is located next to the Helsinki Olympic Stadium.Before the current stadium was constructed, it was known as the Helsinki Football Grounds and hosted some of the football preliminaries for the 1952 Summer Olympics.
Lemmenjoki National Park
. Lemmenjoki National Park (Finnish Lemmenjoen kansallispuisto, Northern Sami Leammi albmotmeahcci) is situated in area of municipalities of Inari and Kittila, Lapland, in Northern Finland.It was founded in 1956 and has since been expanded twice.Its total area is 2,850 square kilometres (1,100 sq mi), making it the biggest national park of Finland and one of the largest in Europe.The park is named after the Lemmenjoki River, an 80 kilometres (50 mi) long river running through it.The park is partly bordered by the ovre Anarjohka National Park in Norway.
. Porvoo cathedral (Finnish Porvoon tuomiokirkko, Swedish Borg a domkyrka) is a cathedral of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland in Porvoo, Finland.It was built in the 15th century, although the oldest parts date from the 13th century. It is the seat of the Diocese of Borg a, Finland Swedish speaking diocese.The cathedral is also used for services by the Porvoo Finnish speaking parish, which is administratively part of the Diocese of Helsinki.The church had first become a cathedral in 1723, when the diocese of Viipuri (Viborg) (now the Diocese of Tampere) moved to Porvoo, after the Russian occupation of Viipuri.
. Tomi Koivusaari (April 11, 1973) is the rhythm guitarist and former vocalist of the Finnish metal band Amorphis. He started playing at the age of 12, his first band was Violent Solution formed in 1987, with him on guitars and vocals, Esa Holopainen on guitars and Jan Rechberger on drums.The band played thrash metal, recorded a demo and an EP.He also formed a death ordoom band called Abhorrence in 1989, and recorded a demo and an EP.Both bands broke up in 1990, but Tomi was not a member of Violent Solution since he formed Abhorrence.In 1990, Tomi, Esa, Jan and bass guitarist Olli Pekka Laine (who played in Nuxvomica at that time) formed Amorphis.In 1996, Tomi formed Ajattara with Pasi Koskinen.He used the Samuel Lempo name in the band.