. Havana was founded by the Spanish in the 16th century and due to its strategic location it served as a springboard for the Spanish conquest of the continent becoming a stopping point for the treasure laden Spanish Galleons on the crossing between the New World and the Old World.King Philip II of Spain granted Havana the title of City in 1592.Walls as well as forts were built to protect the old city.The sinking of the U.S.battleship Maine in Havana harbor in 1898 was the immediate cause of the SpanishAmerican War.
. Old Havana (Spanish La Habana Vieja) is the citycenter (downtown) and one of the 15 municipalities (or boroughs) forming Havana, Cuba, it has the second highest population density in the city and contains the core of the original city of Havana.The positions of the original Havana city walls are the modern boundaries of Old Havana.Old Havana is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
. The Malecon (officially Avenida de Maceo) is a broad esplanade, roadway and seawall which stretches for 8 km (5 miles) along the coast in Havana, Cuba, from the mouth of Havana Harbor in Old Havana, along the north side of the Centro Habana neighborhood, ending in the Vedado neighborhood.New businesses are appearing on the esplanade due to economic reforms in Cuba that now allow Cubans to own private businesses.
. El Capitolio, or National Capitol Building in Havana, Cuba, was the seat of government in Cuba until after the Cuban Revolution in 1959, and is now home to the Cuban Academy of Sciences.El Capitolio has a size of 681 by 300ft.Its design and name recall the United States Capitol in Washington, D.C., but it is only superficially similar.Completed in 1929, it was the tallest building in Havana until the 1950s and houses the world third largest indoor statue.
Museum of the Revolution
. The Museum of the Revolution (Spanish Museo de la Revolucion) is a museum located in the Old Havana section of Havana, Cuba.The museum is housed in what was the Presidential Palace of all Cuban presidents from Mario Garcia Menocal to Fulgencio Batista.It became the Museum of the Revolution during the years following the Cuban revolution.
. Finca Vigia Spanish pronunciation was the home of Ernest Hemingway in San Francisco de Paula, Cuba, and now houses a museum.Hemingway lived in the house from mid 1939 to 1960, renting it at first, and then buying it in December 1940 after he married his third wife Martha Gellhorn.Hemingway paid doller12,500 for the property.The property was located for Hemingway by Gellhorn, who had come to Cuba to be with Hemingway but decided she did not want to live in the small room he rented at the Hotel Ambos Mundos.The Finca at the time consisted of 15 acres (61,000 m2) with a farmhouse.
. Morro Castle Spanish Castillo de los Tres Reyes Magos del Morro, named after the three biblical Magi, is a fortress guarding the entrance to Havana bay in Havana, Cuba.The design was drawn up by the Italian engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli originally under the control of Spain, the fortress was captured by the British in 1762, and was returned to the Spanish under treaty terms a year later.The Morro fortress in Havana shares its name with structures in Santiago de Cuba and the Castillo de San Felipe del Morro in San Juan, Puerto Rico.In this case, the Spanish morro means a rock which is very visible from the sea and therefore serves as a navigational landmark.Perched on the promontory on the opposite side of the harbor from Old Havana, it can be viewed from miles around as it dominates the port entrance.Built initially in 1589 in response to raids on Havana harbor, el Morro protected the mouth of the harbor with a chain being strung out across the water to the fort at La Punta.
Gran Teatro de La Habana
. The Gran Teatro de La Habana (Spanish Great Theatre of Havana) is located in the Paseo del Prado in Havana, Cuba.It is located in a building known as the Palace of the Galician Centre, which was built as a place of social reunion for the Galician immigrants in Havana.The theatre has been home of the Cuban National Ballet and, on its main stage, of the International Ballet Festival of Havana.It facilities include theatres, a concert hall, conference rooms, and a video screening room, as well as an art gallery, a choral centre, and several rehearsal halls for danzarias groups and dance companies.
Castillo de la Real Fuerza
. The Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Force) is a star fort on the western side of the harbour in Havana, Cuba, set back from the entrance, and bordering the Plaza de Armas.Originally built to defend against attack by pirates, it suffered from a poor strategic position, being too far inside the bay.The fort is considered to be the oldest stone fort in the Americas, and was listed in 1982 as part of the UNESCO World Heritage site of Old Havana and its Fortifications.
Jose Marti Memorial
. The Jose Marti Memorial (Spanish Monumento a Jose Marti) is a memorial to Jose Marti, a national hero of Cuba, located on the northern side of the Plaza de la Revolucion in the Vedado area of Havana.It consists of a starshaped tower, a statue of Marti surrounded by six columns, and gardens.The 109 m (358 ft) tower, designed by a team of architects led by Enrique Luis Varela, is in the form of a fivepointed star, encased in grey Cuban marble from the Isla de la Juventud.The design was eventually selected from various entries put forward from a series of competitions beginning in 1939.
. Hotel Inglaterra is the oldest hotel in Cuba and one of the most classic hotels in Havana.It is located at Paseo del Prado 416 between San Rafael and San Miguel in Havana, Cuba.The Hotel was founded on December 23, 1875 and built in neoclassic style.Winston Churchill stayed in Hotel Inglaterra while visiting Cuba as a military observer during the SpanishCuban war in 1895.
. Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabana (Fort of Saint Charles), colloquially known as La Cabana, is an 18thcentury fortress complex, the thirdlargest in the Americas, located on the elevated eastern side of the harbor entrance in Havana, Cuba.The fort rises above the 200foot (60 m) hilltop, along with Morro Castle (fortress).After the capture of Havana by British forces in 1762, an exchange was soon made to return Havana to the Spanish, the controlling colonial power of Cuba, in exchange for Florida).A key factor in the British capture of Havana turned out to be the overland vulnerability of El Morro.
Castillo San Salvador de la Punta
. San Salvador de la Punta Fortress is a fortress in the bay of Havana, Cuba.La Punta, just like El Morro was designed to protect the entrance to the Havana Bay that became an important and strategic entranceway to the harbor since the settlement of the town.The nonstop landings of corsairs in the area endangered the harbor and the town.That was why in 1559 it was resolved to post lookouts at La Punta.In 1582 the king Felipe II, convinced that it was necessary to reinforce fortresses and fleets, ordered the creation of a fortress system in several places of America having its center in Havana.
. El Templete is a monument in Havana, Cuba, that pays homage to the place where the foundation of the town of San Cristobal de la Habana was celebrated in 1519.The monument consists of bust of Christopher Columbus and three canvases painted by Jean Baptiste Vermay.It is a Neoclassic building, typical example of colonial architecture.Close to the Templete, there is a column which replaces a silkcotton tree, under which the first mass and the first Council of Havana were celebrated.
Melia Cohiba Hotel
. The Melia Cohiba is a 5 star luxury highrise hotel located in the Vedado district of Havana, Cuba.The hotel opened in 1994, in total it has 401 rooms and 61 suites.The hotel sitting just off the Malecon, and next to the Hotel Habana Riviera with its sharp angles and alternating walls of stone and glass, is one of the more modern buildings in Havana, along with its sister the Melia Habana.The Cohiba has a wide range of restaurants and shops, as the Habanos Cigar Store.The Habana Cafe has a nightly floor show and live music.
. The Colon Cemetery, or more fully in the Spanish language Cementerio de Cristobal Colon, was founded in 1876 in the Vedado neighbourhood of Havana, Cuba on top of Espada Cemetery.Named for Christopher Columbus, the 140 acre (57 ha) cemetery is noted for its many elaborately sculpted memorials.It is estimated that today the cemetery has more than 500 major mausoleums, chapels, and family vaults.Colon Cemetery is one of the great historical cemeteries of the world, and is generally held to be the most important in Latin America in historical and architectural terms, second is La Recoleta in Buenos Aires.It was built by the Galician architect Calixto Arellano de Loira y Cardoso, a graduate of Madrid Royal Academy of Arts of San Fernando,
Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana
. The National Museum of Fine Arts of Havana (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana) in Havana, Cuba is a museum of Fine Arts that exhibits Cuban art collections from the colonial times up to contemporary generations.There are now two impressive buildings belonging to the Museum, one dedicated to Cuban Arts in the Palacio de Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts) and one dedicated to the Universal Arts, in the Palacio del Centro Asturiano (Palace of the Asturian Center).
Hotel Ambos Mundos
. The Hotel Ambos Mundos (Spanish pronunciation is a hotel of square form with five floors, built with an eclectic set of characteristics of 20thcentury style architecture.It was built in 1924 on a site that previously had been occupied by an old family house on the corner of Calle Obispo and Mercaderes (Bishop and Merchants Streets) in La Habana Vieja (Old Havana), Cuba.It is a frequent tourist destination because it was home to the popular writer Ernest Hemingway for seven years in the 1930s.
. Granma is the yacht that was used to transport 82 fighters of the Cuban Revolution from Mexico to Cuba in November 1956 for the purpose of overthrowing the regime of Fulgencio Batista.The 60foot (18 m) dieselpowered cabin cruiser was built in 1943 and designed to accommodate 12 people.Granma, in English, is an affectionate term for a grandmother the yacht is said to have been named for the original owner grandmother.
Christ of Havana
. The Christ of Havana (Spanish Cristo de La Habana) is a large sculpture representing Jesus of Nazareth on a hilltop overlooking the bay in Havana, Cuba.It is the work of the Cuban sculptor Jilma Madera, who won the commission for it in 1953.The statue was carved out of white Carrara marble, the same material used for many of the monuments of the Colon Cemetery.The statue is about 20 metres (66 ft) high including a 3metre (10 ft) base.It weighs approximately 320 tons.The statue was built from 67 blocks of marble that had been brought from Italy after being personally blessed by Pope Pius XII.The figure of Christ is standing with the right hand held near the chin and the left hand near his chest.Facing the city, the statue was left with empty eyes to give the impression of looking at all, from anywhere to be seen.
. The Cathedral of The Virgin Mary of the Immaculate Conception (also known in Spanish as La Catedral de la Virgen Maria de la Concepcion Inmaculada de La Habana) is one of eleven Roman Catholic cathedrals on the island of Cuba.Located in the Plaza de la Catedral, the Havana Cathedral is found in the center of Old Havana.This thirtyfour by thirtyfive meter rectangle church serves as the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Cristobal de la Habana which overlooks 7,542 square kilometers of the island and 2,821,000 Catholics.
. Floridita (Spanish pronunciation or El Floridita is an historic fish restaurant and cocktail bar in the older part of Havana (La Habana Vieja), Cuba.It lies at the end of Calle Obispo (Bishop Street), across Monserrate Street from the The National Museum of Fine Arts of Havana (Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes de La Habana).The establishment is famous for its daiquiris and for having been one of the favourite hangouts of Ernest Hemingway in Havana.
Iglesia de Jesus de Miramar
. Iglesia de Jesus de Miramar is the second largest church in Cuba.It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Cristobal de la Habana.It was begun in 1948 and inaugurated on May 28, 1953.It is constructed in the RomanesqueByzantine style.Its architect was Eugenio Cosculluela y Barreras (1893 1978).The murals in the church were painted by the Spanish painter, Cesareo Marciano Hombrados y de Onativia (1909 1977) between the years 1952 and 1959.There are more than 266 figures represented in the 14 large murals.His model for the Virgin Mary was his wife, Sara Margarita Fernandez y Lopez (born August 5, 1927 in Havana, Cuba).The writer Carlos Eire, in his book Waiting for Snow in Havana.
. Regla (Spanish pronunciation is one of the 15 municipalities or boroughs (municipios in Spanish) in the city of Havana, Cuba.It comprises the town of Regla, located at the bottom of Havana Bay in a former aborigine settlement named Guaicanamar, in a peninsula dividing Marimelena from Guasabacoa inlets and the village of Casablanca, located and the entry of the Havana Bay.The town is a commercial and industrial suburb with shipyards.The Galainela shipyard and the ENA drydock until recently operated as a joint venture with Cura
Museo del Aire
. The Museo del Aire, full title in Spanish Museo de Aeronautica Astronautica o Museo del Aire, is an aviation museum located in the outskirts of Madrid at Cuatro Vientos Airport, Spain.The museum was founded in 1981, and offers six exhibition galleries and it has about 150 aircraft on display.Cuatro Vientos was inaugurated in 1911 and is Spain first military airfield.
Amadeo Roldan Theater
. The Amadeo Roldan Theater (Spanish Teatro Amadeo Roldan) is a theater in Havana, Cuba built in 1929.The theater was destroyed in 1977 by a pyromaniac it was reopen in 1999 as the head office of the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba which performs seasonal every Sunday at 1100PM.Located within a monumental modern building, once home to The Havana Auditorium, the venue now consists of the Amadeo Roldan and Garcia Caturla halls, offering symphonic orchestras, piano recitals, and a mixture of classical and contemporary music.The Amadeo Roldan hall has seats for 886, for important concerts such as Egberto Gismonti and Leo Brouwer, the Caturla hall is for small band performances and has a capacity for 276 persons.The theater apart from being home of the National Symphony Orchestra is also home to prestigious international events are held here such as the Encuentro Internacional de Guitarra (International Guitar Gathering).
Acuario Nacional de Cuba
. The Acuario Nacional de Cuba (National Aquarium of Cuba) in Havana, Cuba was established in 1960 to focus on research and environmental education.Displays include those of coral and other tropical species, as well as a wellknown dolphinarium and popular sea lion shows.
. The Estadio Latinoamericano (Spanish for Latin American Stadium) is a stadium in Havana, Cuba.It is primarily used for baseball.Gran Estadio, a spacious pitchers park with prevailing winds blowing in and boasting a playing surface and lighting system of majorleague quality, was built in 1946 as the top baseball park in Latin America.Located in the Cerro neighborhood, it opened with the name Gran Estadio de La Habana and currently holds about 55,000 people.In 1999, it also hosted an exhibition series between the Cuban National Team and the Baltimore Orioles.